Monday, July 8, 2013

Thoughts in Writing 8

Hey have I got an idea for us!
Instead of trying to make marijuana legal, why not revert to the 18th amendment and prohibit alcoholic beverages!
After all, there are extensive studies and facts which bear out that alcohol kills!
While we know that many individuals are incarcerated for simple possession of marijuana, how many have been jailed for possessing alcohol?
Alcohol is really a gateway drug if you think about it. Are you or others going to dispute the fact that alcohol has been classified as a drug when used for other than medicinal purposes?
When I was young, I was introduced to alcohol. It became my desire for many years to come. Eventually, I fell into bad company and then began to use marijuana. But marijuana did not make me steal cases of beer where I worked. It only was available when I was able to score a nickel bag.
The environmental factors do come into factor when I look into my past. But It was my choice. I ran with a bad bunch of people as far as drug use is concerned. Each of those, given proper emotional help, could have stabilized and made a diiference. The drugs just made the hurt go away for a while.
And with alcohol. Don't just as many people try to escape from their lives with a drink or a drunk?
Alcohol causes much time lost in work as far as losing days and also productivity. Having a person who has a drinking problem on the payroll is contradictive to performance. But! Do you send the person to rehabilitation? Or do you fire him/her?
Sending the person to rehab may help the first time, but if not, then you have a chronic alcoholic on the payroll. As far as I am concerned, God bless those employers who believe in second chances.
What happens when you fire a person who is a drunk or nicely put an alcoholic? You lose a productive person in society. Of course the person was fired for not being productive. But was that employee always that way? Can the rehab make that person whole again?
So now to marijuana. Are we doing our society a favor by incarcerating possessors of pot? We create a burden on our tax base, and the only people who profit are the private penal systems that take over the burdem of jailing our prisoners. Less clients, as they were, means less income. After lobbying for the position of holding prisioners for a fee instead of the state, the private penal system would be losing money. And who are the stockholders?
So to conclude, Make alcohol illegal! Ban booze! Call for a referendum and have alcohol prohibited in all 50 states!
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

No comments:

Post a Comment